In just minutes, calculate the potential return your organization
could gain from implementing a flexible operating model.
See what your current approach to flexibility is missing!
For additional information about the Return on Flexibility™ Calculator, please see our companion guide:
For our external references, please see:
- Bloom, Nicholas et al., “Does working from home work? Evidence from a Chinese experiment.” The Quarterly Journal of Economics (2015) 130.1: pp. 165–218.
- U.S Department of Labor. Employer Costs for Employee Compensation Summary. (2021). https://www.bls.gov/news.release/ecec.nr0.htm
- Barrero, Jose Maria, Nicholas Bloom, and Steven J Davis. “60 million fewer commuting hours per day: How Americans use time saved by working from home”. (2020). University of Chicago, Becker Friedman Institute for Economics Working Paper, (2020).
- U.S. Census Bureau. American Community Survey. Burd, Charlynn, Michael Burrows, and Brian McKenzie. Travel Time to Work in the United States. (2019). REPORT NUMBER ACS 47. https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2021/acs/acs-47.html
- (2021). https://online-calculator.org/how-many-working-days-in-a-year.aspx
- Snedaker, Susan. Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Planning for IT Professionals, 2nd Edition. (Syngress, September 2013). ISBN: 9780124114517.
- U.S. General Services Administration, Office of Governmentwide Policy Office of Real Property Management Performance Measurement Division. Workspace Utilization and Allocation Benchmark. (July 2012). https://www.gsa.gov/cdnstatic/Workspace_Utilization_Banchmark_July_2012_%281%29.pdf
- National Office Report. Commercial Edge. (April 2021). https://www.commercialedge.com/blog/u-s-office-lease-rates-inch-upward-vacancy-still-in-double-digits/
- U.S. Energy Information Administration. (2018) “2018 Commercial Buildings Energy Consumption Survey.“ https://www.eia.gov/consumption/commercial/data/2018/pdf/CBECS_2018_Building_Characteristics_Flipbook.pdf
- U.S. Energy Information Administration. Electric Power Monthly. (September 2021) “Average Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector,” Table 5.6.A. https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_6_a
- U.S. Energy Information Administration. Natural Gas Annually. (September 2021) “U.S. average annual natural gas prices by state, 2020.” https://www.eia.gov/dnav/ng/ng_pri_sum_dcu_nus_m.htm
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Job Openings and Labor Turnover—December 2021 (Feb. 1, 2022). https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/jolts.pdf
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Economic News Release Table 18 (March 11, 2021). https://www.bls.gov/news.release/jltst.t04.htm
- Costello, Katie and Meghan Rimol. Gartner Forecasts Worldwide IT Spending to Grow 6.2% in 2021. (2021). Gartner.com. https://www.gartner.com/en/newsroom/press-releases/2020-01-25-gartner-forecasts-worldwide-it-spending-to-grow-6-point-2-percent-in-2021
- Cameron, Doug and Eric Morath. “Covid-19’s Blow to Business Travel Is Expected to Last for Years.” Wall Street Journal, (2021). https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-pandemics-impact-on-business-travel-hitting-local-economies-11610879401
- Motus Reports. Motus Business Travel Expense Trends. (2019-2020). https://resources.motus.com/reports/2019-2020-motus-business-travel-expense-trends
- 2020 Training Industry Report. Training Magazine. (December 2020). https://pubs.royle.com/publication/?m=20617&i=678873&p=26&ver=html5
- Society for Human Resource Management. Human Capital Benchmarking Report. (2016)
- Moen, Phyllis et al. “Can a Flexibility/Support Initiative Reduce Turnover Intentions and Exits? Results from the Work, Family, and Health Network.” Oxford University Press. December 2016. Social Problems 64, 1: 53–85.
- Coffman, Curt and Gabriel Gonzalez-Molina. Follow This Path: How the World’s Greatest Organizations Drive Growth. Warner Books: Hachette Book Group, Inc. October 2002.
- The Gallup Organization. State of the American Workplace Chapter 8: “The Changing Place and Space of Work.” (2017). https://www.gallup.com/workplace/238085/state-american-workplace-report-2017.aspx
- Cicala, Steve. Powering work from home. Working Paper 27937. National Bureau of Economic Research. (October 2020). http://www.nber.org/papers/w27937.
- Chen, J. Is remote work greener? We calculated Buffer’s carbon footprint to find out. (2020). https://buffer.com/resources/carbon-footprint/
- Fu Miao, Andrew Kelly, J., Peter Clinch, J., & King, Fearghal (2012). Environmental policy implications of working from home: Modelling the impacts of land-use, infrastructure and socio-demographics. Energy Policy, 416-423. doi:101016/jenpol201205014
- O’Brien W, Yazdani Aliabadi F (2020). Does telecommuting save energy? A critical review of quantitative studies and their research methods. Energy Build. 2020;225:110298. doi:10.1016/j.enbuild.2020.110298
- Molefl, Nena, Julie O’Mara, and Alan Richter. Global Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Benchmarks. Standards for Organizations around the world. (April 2021). https://centreforglobalinclusion.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/GDEIB-APRIL-2021-1.pdf/
- Phillips, Katherine W. “How Diversity Makes Us Smarter.” Greater Good Magazine, (September 2017). https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_diversity_makes_us_smarter