Trust me, my corporate clients recognize that Gen-Y/Millennials place a high premium on work-life “balance” and flexibility in the when, where and how they do their jobs.
What those same corporate clients don’t 100% trust is that their under 30 year old employees understand that the secret to “balance” and greater flexibility is…performance and results.
In other words, if you consistently deliver and “do what you say you are going to do, when you say you are going to do it,” fewer people are going to stand in your way if you want to work from home one day or shift your hours (assuming it makes sense for your job).
But how do you achieve that optimal level of performance and deliver those results in today’s workplace so that, in turn, you can achieve your goals, on and off the job?
In every generation, there will always be people who don’t want to make the effort. But my experience has been that most millennials are willing to work hard. They just need someone to lay out what that looks like in action, because the secrets to success that worked for their 50 year old boss, aren’t necessarily going to work for them.
Dan Schawbel’s new book, “Promote Yourself,” is a great place to start. It offers an honest roadmap, like his “14 rules of the new workplace that millennials need to master“:
- Your job description is just the beginning.
- Your job is temporary.
- You’re going to need a lot of skills you probably don’t have right now.
- Your reputation is the single greatest asset you have.
- Your personal life is now public.
- You need to build a positive presence in new media.
- You’ll need to work with people from different generations.
- Your boss’s career comes first.
- The one with the most connections wins.
- Remember the rule of one.
- You are the future.
- Entrepreneurship is for everyone, not just business owners.
- Hours are out, accomplishments are in.
- Your career is in your hands, not your employer’s.
- Sign up to attend the live webcast of the book launch party hosted by E&Y in NYC tomorrow 9/10 (there are a few tickets remaining)
- Buy the book: Promote Yourself: The New Rules for Career Success
- Connect with Dan on Twitter @DanSchawbel and Facebook